LBI-HTA Conference 'FairHealth: Equity and Resource Allocation of Medical Interventions'
The precarious situation of health care systems is evident: On the one hand, scarce budgets and high debts threaten the long-term financing of medical interventions for citizens. On the other hand, more and more cost-intensive medical innovations appear on the market, which are to be made accessible for a broad public.
Apart from questions of use and efficiency of individual medical interventions, the FairHealth conference will deal with all those current problems and questions focusing on a fair distribution of medical performances. The need for such broad, public discussions primarily results from the socio-political, individual and economic meaning of ‘health’ as well as from recent debates concerning health care reforms.
Against this background, the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Health Technology Assessment (LBI-HTA) invites to the FairHealth conference in order to discuss issues of equity and resource allocation of medical performances in a solidly financed health system. Beside theoretical analyses, the main conference foci will cover national and international practical examples, interdisciplinary approaches to research and HTA-perspectives, which all together stress different aspects of (in-)equity in health care.
|08:30-||09:00||Registration and Coffee|
Welcome and introduction
Dr. Christiane DRUML (Lead of the Austrian Bioethics Commission)
Dr. Claudia WILD (Director of LBI-HTA)
Inequality in the distribution of health performances
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Olaf von dem KNESEBECK (University of Hamburg Eppendorf)
Equity between philosophy and practical experience - How can equitiy prove oneself?
Univ.-Prof. DDr. Michaela STRASSER (University of Salzburg)
Equity and the health benefit basket of a social health insurance
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Friedrich BREYER (University of Konstanz)
Children - the unnoticed losers? Social disadvantage and health performances with children and adolescents
Dr. Lilly DAMM (Medical University of Vienna, Dept. of Public Health)
Distributive justice and Health Technolgoy Assessment: Practical examples
Dr. Wija J. OORTWIJN (ECORYS, 'Health Care Dept.', Netherlands)
The contribution of HTA to equity and resource allocation in health care systems
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Georg MARCKMANN, MPH (University of Tübingen)
Core questions and main foci of the FairHealth conference:
1. Are health performances distributed unequally and „why“?
- Social factors of influence on health and illness
Why do we need fairly distributed health performances?
- Meaning of „social equity“ for the health system
2. Which equity approaches do exist from a legal-philosophical and economic point of view?
- Overview of equity concepts for the health care context
3. How “to design” fair and just health care for marginalised and/or socially disadvantaged groups? Which medical care deficits exist for children and adolescents and which arrangements might contribute to a fair health care in this field?
- Practical examples about an equal health care for disadvantaged groups in the health care system
4. Which health care policies are internationally pursued in order to promote equity in resource allocation
- International comparison of innovative examples for an equal allocation of resources and fair prioritisation process
5. How can HTA contribute to a fair distribution of health performances?
- HTA-methods and -instruments and their role in „the equity discourse“
Furthermore, the LBI-HTA is planning a conference (book) publication which shall include the articles of the conference speakers as well as contributions from other outstanding national and international experts dealing with (in-)equity issues and resource allocation in the context of health care.
LBI-HTA Conference 'FairHealth: Equity & Resource Allocation of Medical Interventions' on March, 2nd 2009 in Vienna
The conference is open to the public for free, but we kindly ask for registration via e-mail to email@example.com