Towards the foundation of the institute
The Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Health Technology Assessment was founded in April 2006 for a duration of 7 years.
The foundation is based on a tender for the creation of new research institutes at the Ludwig Boltzmann Society that - after 40 years of existence and operation - came to the decision to put its institutional policy on a new basis. The Ludwig Boltzmann Society reacted to changed conditions both in the Austrian and in the European research environment.
The new institutional policy consists of seven strategic principles:
1) Size of new institutions: Development of larger institutions of at least 15 researchers in the medical and 10 researchers in the social sciences.
2) Limited duration but guaranteed financing: Stable financial basis for the duration of 7 years.
3) Synergies and partnerships: Establishing synergies by setting up partnerships between research-producing and research-applying organisations or institutions for the constitution and financing of the new institutes.
4) Translational research: Strong emphasis on immediate or medium-term usable results, while the definition of the research programme is done by research institute and appliers of the research.
5) Research programmes: Enforcement and realisation of coherent and long term research programmes as organisational principle.
6) Management: Concentration on research management and personnel development as major prerequisite for good performance ensured by full time directors.
7) Competition and quality assurance: Provision of high quality through competition, evaluation and agreements on performance and research output.